Balcony in an oval building model

Help on setting up the building geometry, including importing from BIM

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

Tom.kp

Balcony in an oval building model

Postby Tom.kp » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 am

Dear DSB experts,

I'm really new to the Desingbuilder, and I'm now learning and trying to simulate a small oval building. In order to finalized my geometric modelling, I would like to ask for some advice as you can see below.

For your reference, please see attached picture in the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c2jy4jedqvvl ... HaLHa?dl=0

Question 1: How to draw balcony decking on an oval building?
I could not draw the balcony decking from a component block because of the oval shape, please see picture c.,d. and e.
**and If I understand correctly, it is necessary to draw the balcony decking in the model as this building is not on the ground level (please picture a. and b.)

Question 2: Is it necessary to include balcony guardrails in this model?
As you can see building design in picture a. and b., the balcony guardrails doesn't really preform shading, reflection or visualization. I was wondering if it is necessary to include the balcony guardrails in this model?

Please kindly advise

Best regards,
Tom
Attachments
c. DSB floor plan.PNG
c. DSB floor plan.PNG (30.81 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
e. DSB Front 02.PNG
e. DSB Front 02.PNG (64.52 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
Luis Sousa

Re: Balcony in an oval building model

Postby Luis Sousa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi Tom,

You can place a rectangular shape or even an approximate oval shape component below the entire building area in order to remove all ground adjacencies and lift the building.
You can then set the surface properties of this component block to a material similar to the one applied on the deck for the solar reflection calculation.

Regarding the balcony guards, for visual purposes modellers can define them on their models but if the guardrails shading impact on the building is not significant then these components are normally excluded from the energy model. The advantage of not considering these elements on the calculations is a reduction of the simulation time.

BR,
Luis
Tom.kp

Re: Balcony in an oval building model

Postby Tom.kp » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:32 am

Dear Luis,

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
Tom

Return to “Geometric Modelling”