Cannot import DXF. to DB

Forum for DesignBuilder EnergyPlus simulation users to exchange views and questions. Posts regarding use of Detailed HVAC should go to the EnergyPlus HVAC forum

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

sanrnatalie

Cannot import DXF. to DB

Postby sanrnatalie » Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi there,

I get a trouble in importing the dxf. file to design builder. I have tried to purge the cad file, scale down the drawings, review the unit of the drawing..etc. But it still not work. I just got the message"out of range" from design builder. Could any one please help to solve this problem?

Thanks.
erikj

Re: Cannot import DXF. to DB

Postby erikj » Fri May 04, 2018 8:11 am

Hi
I have same issue sometimes with DXF import. Maybe someone have more knowledge and better answers to this issue?

My experience:
Some times I've been sucessful after
-First Checking that there are no text/layers/lines causing any issue. (objects far away from building etc)
-Some times I've tried EXPLODE command in AutoCad to seperate blocks.

Some times when file is imported into Design Builder there seems to be extra lines or dots in the floor plan, that don't seem to exist on the DXF file and therefore can’t be deleted.
I still have not found the complete "cure" for being able to sucessfully import DXF in all situations I've experienced. (I use DXF 2013 Autocad export.)
erikj

Postby erikj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 am

This is what I found in the Knowledgebase:

"1) The units are incorrectly selected. For example the CAD drawing may have been defined in millimetres and you have selected metres as the units.
So when DesignBuilder tries to read the floor plan everything is 1000x too big and meters become kilometres! The DesignBuilder modeller has a range of several hundred metres.

2) There is some non-geometric garbage in the DXF file for example the title block. In this case you should clean up the drawing before exporting to DXF."
Chanique

Postby Chanique » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:54 pm

I also struggle to import DXF into DB. I have cleaned up the drawings, no layers, no text, no hatching etc and the units are correct, but still it seems to not work....any suggestions??
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:36 am

Hi Chanique,

Can you please raise a ticket and submit your dxf file on DesignBuilder Helpdesk?
https://support.designbuilder.co.uk

The support team will be able to provide more information.

BR,
Luis
erikj

Postby erikj » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:59 am

I do these steps and it has worked great for me last months:
Select the plan view of the building in AutoCad, Use EXPLODE repeatedly to be sure there are no blocks etc.
Select and copy plan view, and paste it into a new file.
save as DXF file.

I now use dxf 2018 format and DB v5.5. Not sure if that's of importance at all for the functionality.

Return to “EnergyPlus General”