importing model from revit to DB

Forum for DesignBuilder EnergyPlus simulation users to exchange views and questions. Posts regarding use of Detailed HVAC should go to the EnergyPlus HVAC forum

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

305689272@qq.com

importing model from revit to DB

Postby 305689272@qq.com » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:28 am

Hi,

I am currently trying to import revit model to DB through DB plugin. When imported, the construction materials for the openings (windows and doors) are missing. Am I do it wrongly or is there any approach to improve it?
somasundaram

Re: importing model from revit to DB

Postby somasundaram » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 am

Hello

I recently tried importing BIM model from REVIT to DB. When i imported the whole building model (about 30 rooms size 26 MB) DB hangs while processing.
When i imported one room alone it was successful but I see quite a few shade planes..also the top surface roof is missing.
I am using File Import BIM option not the plug in option in DB version 5

1) so is there a file size limit while importing revit BIM to DB?
2) What does shade plane mean?
3) Is the roof or top surface always missing while importing a gbxml.
4) if we specify a higher tolerance value like 0.1m , does it have any disadvantage?

regards
Sivanand
Marco Passarelli
Site Admin

Re: importing model from revit to DB

Postby Marco Passarelli » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Hello

1) so is there a file size limit while importing revit BIM to DB?
Could you please send us your gbxml file via our support desk and we will have a look?
https://support.designbuilder.co.uk/

2) What does shade plane mean?
Shadings surfaces included in the gbxml files are imported in DesignBuilder as shade planes. Note that you can choose to import shading surfaces as part of the import or not using the option ‘Import shading surfaces’.

3) Is the roof or top surface always missing while importing a gbxml.
No, if the roof is included in the gbxml file DesignBuilder should import it. The DesignBuilder import requires correct gbXML and poor quality BIM export data is the main source of errors in we are seeing in imports these days. I would suggest you to have a look in the tutorial attached which explains the most important steps in creating energy models from within Revit so that the exported data comes through as expected. Note it is important to check the analytical model in Revit before exporting. If it looks wrong in Revit it won’t get any better in DesignBuilder.

4) if we specify a higher tolerance value like 0.1m , does it have any disadvantage?
No, I don’t think so. You might enter a value higher than the default 0.01m if the gbXML spaces are separated by large gaps due to thick partitions or ceiling /floor voids being excluded from the gbXML. For example if the largest gap in the between spaces that are to be modelled as adjacent is 0.3m then enter 0.3m here.

MP
Attachments
DB-Revit_gbXML TUTORIAL.pdf
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

Return to “EnergyPlus General”