Model Partially Covered Green Roof

Help on setting up the building geometry, including importing from BIM

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

xl911

Postby xl911 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:01 pm

I am modelling a flat concrete roof, with an overall surface area of approximately 111 m2. Three different green roof systems (3m*4m for each, 36m2 in total) were installed on the center part of the flat roof (partially covered). Attachment is a photo of the flat roof and green roofs.

We created a green roof outlayer in the flat roof element, and run the simulation to obtain the inner and external surface temperature. However, now we wanna obtain the temperature between the green roof material layer and the roof slab concrete layer. Do we have to create two roof elements on top of each other to obtain the temperature between? and how? Is there any method that can help us obtain the temperature required?

Note: the green roof heat conduction and flux transfer must be considered in the calculation.

Huge thx,

Jason
Attachments
Capture0125.PNG
photo of flat roof and green roofs
Capture0125.PNG (103.04 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
NassimJ

Postby NassimJ » Fri May 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi,

i'm not sure you could perform such model simulation.
even if you create another layer (which would be your green roof layer), which is in fact a building block, you should custom its behaviour. It's something, you can't do on DB. In that case, why don't you try to run a CFD analysis?

Regards,
MandieZiqe

Postby MandieZiqe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:29 pm

I have a flat roof which has tapered cork insulation boards on it. I can only seem to model flat roofs which have parallel layers. Do I need to form a tapered extrusion on top of the roof, to represent the cork layer? Or is there a better way? It seems strange that I cant form the roof element all in one go?

thanks for any help,
Jemma

Return to “Geometric Modelling”