Daylight Autonomy in DesignBuilder

Forum for users to discuss the DesignBuilder Radiance daylighting tools and ask questions

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

elmullin

Daylight Autonomy in DesignBuilder

Postby elmullin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Are you able to get daylight autonomy rather than just Daylight factor from DB?
drumman

Postby drumman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:45 pm

hi!
In the current beta release (5.0) it would be possible, but when i tried this function, the software was crashing all the time...
elmullin

Postby elmullin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:00 pm

too bad, but Thank you!
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi,

Only DesignBuilder latest V5 betas provide Daylight Autonomy outputs via Daysim.

The V5 developments made on the Daysim feature are still in early implementation stage and currently doesn't provide results to obtain LEED V4 daylighting credits.
At the moment its difficult to commit to a time-scale but we expect that a V5.x beta with a functional Daysim calculation to be available later in the year.

BR,
LS
gkspl

Re: Daylight Autonomy in DesignBuilder

Postby gkspl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Luis,

I am using the latest release of DB v5.0.3.007 and wondering if I can do a calculation of Daylight Autonomy within DB?

If not, then what is the best possible way to do a calculation of Daylight Autonomy using DB model?

regrads,
Prashant
Luis Sousa

Postby Luis Sousa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Prashant,

The Daylight Autonomy feature was not included on v5.0.3 release because it still needed to be completed. However, it will become available on the next v5.2 release expected after this Summer.

I believe that other users may alternatively have used EnergyPlus daylight map output.
The Daylight map outputs can be generated from DesignBuilder interface - Simulation Output Options- and then the results analysed using a spreadsheet as described on the following help article:
http://www.designbuilder.co.uk/helpv5.0 ... ghting.htm

The Daylight map outputs- eplusmap.csv, eplusout.dfs are available on EnergyPlus folder (File>Folders).

Hope this is helpful.

BR,
Luis
emodeler

Postby emodeler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:20 am

Were you able to try sDA and ASE in v5.2? If yes, how did you do it? Do i need to install a separate DAYSIM software or is it already installed in db? Do you know how to export the 3d model from db to daysim?
Darren Flight

Postby Darren Flight » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 am

Any model that is open in DesignBuilder can be used for Daysim, there is no need to import the model.
Click the Daylighting tab at the bottom of the screen.
Next click the Annual daylighting tab near the top pf the screen, followed by Update data. You will then be presented with a Edit Calculation Options window. Under Calculation Options> Report Type> you can select sDA and ASE.

Return to “Radiance Daylighting”